To view a sortable list, please visit the Exhibition
SHAKESPEARE DOCUMENTED IS STILL GROWING! Descriptive content and transcriptions will continue to be added, updated and expanded. Check back for regular updates!
Shakespeare’s poem, now known as “The Phoenix and the Turtle,” was appended to a collection of poetry called Loves Martyr printed in 1601.This volume mostly consists of Robert Chester’s long and obscure narrative poem about the love between the phoenix and a dove
October 7, 1601
Deed of transfer of the Globe and other properties from Nicholas Brend to Sir Matthew Brown and John Collett, listing "William Shackspeare gent.”
Dated October 7, 1601, this is the first of five enrolled indentures of bargain and sale for the Globe site, naming William Shakespeare as a leasee. The Globe playhouse was first built in 1599 on land leased from Sir Nicholas Brend.
The 1602 quarto of Thomas, Lord Cromwell bears the attribution “sundrie times pub- / likely Acted by the Right Hono- / rable the Lord Chamberlaine / his Seruants.
February 2 and March 13, 1602
The earliest mention of Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night is in a notebook of gossip, observations and sermon notes kept by John Manningham while a law student at Middle Temple, one of the Inns of Court in London.
Following the expiration of the lease on the site of the Theatre in Shoreditch in 1597, Richard and Cuthbert Burbage, James Burbage’s sons, found themselves embroiled in a series of lawsuits with Giles Allen, who owned the land that their father had leased for his playhouse.
The first edition of the rollicking middle-class comedy The Merry Wives of Windsor was published in 1602, after being entered into the Stationers’ Register for John Busby on January 18, 1602 and then immediately transferred by Busby to Arthur Johnson on the
These two documents are the buyer's and vendor's copies of the 1602 final concord for Shakespeare's purchase of New Place. Shakespeare purchased New Place, one of the largest houses in Stratford-upon-Avon, from William Underhill in 1597.
This is the third edition of Richard III, printed in 1602. It is the second of two editions printed by Thomas Creede for Andrew Wise. On June 25, 1603 Wise transferred the rights to the play to Matthew Law.
In 1602, Ralph Brooke, York Herald, contested 23 coats of arms granted by William Dethick, Garter King of Arms, including the arms originally granted to Shakespeare’s father, John Shakespeare, and now belonging to William Shakespeare.