To view a sortable list, please visit the Resource
The Troublesome Reign of King John was first published anonymously in 1591, but the second quarto of 1611 includes the attribution “Written by W.Sh.” In 1622, a third quarto expanded this to “W.
The third edition of Pericles was printed in 1611. It retains certain textual errors introduced in the second edition, indicating that the third edition was based on the previous one.
undated, possibly 1611?
SHAKESPEARE DOCUMENTED IS STILL GROWING! Descriptive content and transcriptions will continue to be added, updated and expanded. Check back for regular updates!
Easter term 1612
Bellott v. Mountjoy: Witness Book listing Shakespeare and others to be examined on Bellott's behalf in Easter Term
Shown here is the Witness Book, from Easter term 1612, for the first round of depositions in Bellott v. Mountjoy.
This is the fifth edition of Richard III, printed in 1612. Like the fourth edition, it was printed by Thomas Creede for Matthew Law.
May 11, 1612
Bellott v. Mountjoy: First set of depositions, on Bellott's behalf, including Shakespeare's signature
Shown here is the first round of depositions, dated May 11, 1612, given in Bellott v. Mountjoy.
May 7, 1612
Bellott v. Mountjoy: Compulsory Summons to Shakespeare and others for the first set of Interrogatories
Shown here is a Compulsory Summons, dated May 7, 1612, following the last of four pleadings in Bellott v. Mountjoy.
In 1612, William Jaggard published a third edition of The Passionate Pilgrim. Like the second edition, the third edition asserts “By W. Shakespeare.” on its title page.
January 22, 1613
A conveyance deed for a house in Henley Street describes William Shakespeare’s house (now the Birthplace) as adjoining it on the north-west
John Shakespeare’s property in Henley Street, inherited by his son William in 1601, and now known as the Birthplace, had a frontage of about 90 feet. When an urban property changed hands, its boundaries were often defined by reference to neighboring properties.
March 11, 1613
In March 1613 William Shakespeare and three associates agreed to purchase the Gatehouse of the former Dominican priory in London known as “Blackfriars” from Henry Walker for the sum of £140. The indenture of bargain and sale is dated March 10.