To view a sortable list, please visit the Exhibition
This book is the only surviving play manuscript used by Shakespeare’s company, the King’s Men. It is also the only surviving copy of the play itself, which became known as The Second Maiden’s Tragedy.
October 5, 1611
Included in the inventory of the possessions of the late Robert Johnson, yeoman, is a barn in Stratford-upon-Avon worth £20, held by lease from William Shakespeare
Following John Shakespeare’s death in 1601, and perhaps for a year or two earlier, the Shakespeare family’s property in Henley Street (now known was the Birthplace) was let out to tenants.
ca. Easter 1610 - Hilary 1611
The Combes sell Shakespeare arable land in old Stratford: Concord recording the confirmation to Shakespeare by William and John Combe of a freehold in Old Stratford, 1 of 2
SHAKESPEARE DOCUMENTED IS STILL GROWING! Descriptive content and transcriptions will continue to be added, updated and expanded. Check back for regular updates!
May 7, 1612
Bellott v. Mountjoy: Compulsory Summons to Shakespeare and others for the first set of Interrogatories
Shown here is a Compulsory Summons, dated May 7, 1612, following the last of four pleadings in Bellott v. Mountjoy.
May 11, 1612
Bellott v. Mountjoy: First set of depositions, on Bellott's behalf, including Shakespeare's signature
Shown here is the first round of depositions, dated May 11, 1612, given in Bellott v. Mountjoy.
June 19, 1612
Shown here is the second round of depositions, dated June 19, 1612, given in Bellott v. Mountjoy.
Easter term 1612
Bellott v. Mountjoy: Witness Book listing Shakespeare and others to be examined on Bellott's behalf in Easter Term
Shown here is the Witness Book, from Easter term 1612, for the first round of depositions in Bellott v. Mountjoy.
January 22, 1613
A conveyance deed for a house in Henley Street describes William Shakespeare’s house (now the Birthplace) as adjoining it on the north-west
John Shakespeare’s property in Henley Street, inherited by his son William in 1601, and now known as the Birthplace, had a frontage of about 90 feet. When an urban property changed hands, its boundaries were often defined by reference to neighboring properties.
March 11, 1613
In March 1613 William Shakespeare and three associates agreed to purchase the Gatehouse of the former Dominican priory in London known as “Blackfriars” from Henry Walker for the sum of £140. The indenture of bargain and sale is dated March 10.
January 28, 1613
The registered copy of John Combe’s will, shown here, carries the date of January 28, 1612 [i.e. 1613] in a heading which may give the impression of concluding the preceding will.