Shakespeare Documented is still growing! Currently, two thirds of the descriptions and 98% of the images are available in the exhibition. Descriptive text will continue to be added, updated and expanded. Visit our About page to learn more about the project scope.
The antiquarian Richard James (1592-1638), fellow of Christ Church College, Oxford, explains in this dedicatory letter to Sir Henry Bourchier why Shakespeare changed the character originally named “Sir John Oldcastle” to one named “Sir John Falstaff” in Henry IV, Parts
Stratford-upon-Avon is identified as the birthplace of William Shakespeare in a jest-book first printed in 1630, descriptively titled A Banquet of Ieasts. Or Change of Cheare. Being a Collection of Moderne Iests. Witty Ieeres. Pleasant Taunts. Merry Tales. Neuer before Imprinted.
The lawsuit shown here, Burbage et al. v. Brend, is of greatest importance in allowing scholars to reconstruct the building of the 1599 Globe playhouse and its 1614 post-fire replacement in considerable financial detail.
Humphrey Dyson (1582-1633) was probably the first owner of this copy of the first edition of Troilus and Cressida (1609), now in the Huntington Library. Dyson signed his name on the title page, as he did with many other volumes in his extensive library.
The grant shown here needs to be read in the context of a fierce dispute between the zealous Puritan vicar of Holy Trinity Church, Thomas Wilson, and the more moderate majority of the Stratford Corporation.